Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Mountain Bike Monday - Breakin' Out the SS

Poco Ride 4.19.14

On Saturday afternoon we headed over to Poco for an evening ride on the trails! It was a beautiful night for a ride.

Poco Ride 4.19.14

Poco Ride 4.19.14

I decided to dust off the Spot Single Speed! Last week I read an article that inspired me to put away the gears and get back out there and work a little harder.

Poco Ride 4.19.14

You've heard me say before that I'm convinced that gears make you lazy. Well, my opinion hasn't changed. There's something about the pure simplicity of riding old school without the benefit of gears. I'm not going to lie...even though I have only 9 gears in the back on my Mutt, it still is a lot easier to sit back and spin in the low gear up the hill than to grind up on the SS. There's nothing wrong with that; however, I've figured out how to be lazy AGAIN! I forgot how to tackle the hills, and how to use momentum to glide through the tough spots.

Poco Ride 4.19.14

Also, there's something magical about that bike. It just fits me well! No other bike I have fits me like my original Spot. It's like an old shoe! It responds well to me and I seem to glide over obstacles with a lot more finesse and ease. Don't get me wrong...I am still like a bull in a china shop most of the time!

Poco Ride 4.19.14

I rode better, harder, and my time was faster! So, I'm going to put away the gears for the next few rides and retrain myself on how to really ride the trails!

Poco Ride 4.19.14

I'm so grateful for my Dynamo's patience. He's always there to help me through the tough spots on the trail. He's encouraging at just the right times!

Poco Ride 4.19.14

He even slowed up enough for me to take some pics of him ridin' the rocks!

Poco Ride 4.19.14

Poco Ride 4.19.14

Poco Ride 4.19.14

Poco Ride 4.19.14

Poco Ride 4.19.14



No comments: