Monday, March 7, 2011

Mountain Bike Monday - The Magic Carpet Ride

Here it is...
Dynamo's been waiting patiently for our newest addition to the family; the Niner M.C.R. (hence the title of the post, Magic Carpet Ride). I just love the names these companies give for their frames! His name is "Kermit" and it's quite fitting don't you think? The frames have been on backorder for a while, but his finally arrived and Carytown Bikes built it up and had it ready to go on Friday so we could have our Saturday ride.

I know what you're thinking...another bike? Do we really need another bike? Well, as I explained to my co-worker, "Each bike has a purpose." She said to me, "You're really a saleswoman aren't you?" I just laughed!

This bike is special because he will be Dynamo's partner for the 100 mile Cohutta Bike Race at the end of April in Tennessee. He really loved his Single Speed S.I.R. 9 (by the way... S.I.R. stands for "Steel Is Real.")so much that he wanted to get a geared bike with the same geometry for the big race. So, our plan was to sell his Independent Fabrication 26 inch and my Salsa 26 inch and get a geared bike for both of us to be able to ride. The M.C.R. is the geared version of that bike. We ride our SS bikes for the most part now, but there are times when gears are a must. And...this upcoming race is a must for gears.

Dynamo went out for a ride on Kermit Saturday. I met him with Spot towards the end of his long ride for a quick 9 mile spin at the park. I was so excited to try out my new wheel sets! Yes, of course Dynamo couldn't get a new bike without me getting something too! So, Spot got some new shoes!
I wanted to lighten Spot up a little and since we've been having some trouble with the rear hub, it seemed like a good time to make a switch. So, I got some Stan's Crest rims with Stan's 3.30 hubs tubeless. This took off about 2 pounds or so of weight.

The wheels did spin a lot better, but the entire ride was a little hectic because we had to constantly adjust the tug nuts and realign the back wheel. This is another issue that we're in the process of remedying, but I won't go into detail here.

The ride was good. Spot rolled well once he got rolling. Dynamo was pleased with Kermit. I even got to try him out for about 2 miles of fireroad. I know he will be a nice addition to the family! Too bad they don't make a pink SS. We really need a "Miss Piggy."

One the way from the trails we saw this in the middle of the fireroad...
I'm not sure what it was, but I thought it was so sweet! A heart for my Dynamo and I on the weekend before our big 4 year wedding anniversary!

Hope your weekend was a good one.



1 comment:

Jamie Oliver (@va_grown) said...

You've really learned a lot about this hobby over the last year or so--way to go! It's great to see you guys sharing something like this.

What a great picture at the end, by the way. :)