Tuesday, March 1, 2011

book binding 101

I decided to teach myself to make my own journals using old board games and children's books. This technique of binding is called coptic binding.
It was a little challenging, but I'm really getting it down. The spine consists of what looks like braids...

The best part is that when you open up journals bound using this method, they lay completely flat. They are perfect for art journaling. There's nothing worse than trying to get the pages to lay down so you can work, but with this type you don't have to worry about it.
Here are a couple more I did recently...
The first is from an old card game. The second was made using a Christmas Golden book.
You may find these in my ETSY shop soon!! Happy Tuesday!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your book binding! Super...

It was fun talking with you at the DAV....here is my personal Flickr link, and hope you can use some of the public domain images that I offer.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7718440@N08/sets/

Also, here is another link to a Flickr group that I admin - Collage Images http://www.flickr.com/groups/collageimages/

And, if you are interested here is a Flickr link to another group that I admin, Altered Dominos & Other Altered Game Pieces http://www.flickr.com/groups/dominoaltered/

Please keep in touch!
joAnne ~ takeabreak

Jamie Oliver (@va_grown) said...

They turned out great! I'm sure you'll only get better and more creative the more you do it too.

I was reading an Eric Sloane book that talked about how teachers use to make their students sew their school work into books so they could continue to study at home without buying their own books and not waste paper--I wonder if this is how they did it.

cleo said...

I like your "vintage" album. so funny and totally fashioned