Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Mountain Bike Monday - Close Encounters

I hope you all had a wonderful long Memorial Day weekend! We sure did! We got in two long bike rides at the Park and encountered several creatures! But, before we get to the weekend, last Thursday we took a ride at Poco on the Lakeview Trails! We encountered a nice long black snake just chillin' on the side of the trail. He was about the mid-point of Lakeview Too! I caught a glimpse of something black out of the corner of my eye and turned to see this guy!

Poco Memorial Day 2011

Well, after that I decided maybe we'd jump out onto some fireroads and explore a new section of the park. We found another road that led to the lake.

Poco Memorial Day 2011

Poco Memorial Day 2011

Poco Memorial Day 2011

On our way back to the car, we encountered this little guy, who seemed to be struggling to get up a pretty steep bank. So, we helped him along!

Poco Memorial Day 2011

Poco Memorial Day 2011

The ride was good and we had a nice time riding and looking around! I honestly forgot how many miles we completed, but I'm guessing it was about 13!

Poco Memorial Day 2011

So, on Saturday, with the long weekend here and knowing we could get two great rides in, we met MBM at the park and hit the Lakeview Trails first!

Poco Memorial Day 2011

Poco Memorial Day 2011

With less than a half mile to go I was riding along (second in line - my previously planned new position in the riding order) and all of a sudden a black snake darted out from underneath a log right in front of me. I hit the breaks really hard and as he came to almost meet his fate by my front tire, he swerved to go around just in time to be saved! According to Dynamo and MBM I screamed so loud the people at the pool could hear me! That was honestly the closest I've ever been to one of those things. He was honestly just as scared as I was. I could tell! So, after I composed myself, I yelled to Dynamo saying, "hurry, we gotta get his picture so we can send it to Mario!" Remember, Mario and I are in a little competition to see who can find the most wildlife (must be documented by photo or video to count).

Dynamo managed to get this guy's picture before he headed off under another log!

Poco Memorial Day 2011

My heart didn't stop racing for a while!!

So, after completing Lakeview, Dynamo and I wanted to continue on over to the Blue Trail. On our way we encountered a giant turtle in the middle of the fireroad.

Poco Memorial Day 2011

He really didn't want to pose for his picture to be taken. We tried! He was the biggest turtle we'd ever seen out at the park. Awesome!!

Poco Memorial Day 2011

We completed our Saturday ride logging in 22 miles, about 18 of them singletrack! Good ride!

We took a break on Sunday and enjoyed the time at home! But, yesterday we were back out there again riding!! This time we tackled the Blue and Green Trails and then went over to the Forest Exploration Trail. On our way to the Blue and Green, we encountered another big turtle!! He was trying to get up the hill too!

Poco Memorial Day 2011

Dynamo got this closeup!

Poco Memorial Day 2011

While on Forest Exploration, we saw this creature!

Poco Memorial Day 2011

Poco Memorial Day 2011

And, after snapping some photos of that snake (again, for Mario), we traveled onward on the Fendley Station Loop! Dynamo and I wanted to check out the creek crossing again, so we did. The water was pretty low. I was hoping it would be cool! But, it wasn't! Honestly, as hot as it was I wouldn't have minded if I fell in since I was soooooo hot!!! My feet got a little damp after crossing, but no big deal!

Poco Memorial Day 2011

Poco Memorial Day 2011

Poco Memorial Day 2011

Poco Memorial Day 2011

Poco Memorial Day 2011

Poco Memorial Day 2011

As we made the circle back around we finished another great ride logging in 19 miles!

I've enjoyed our rides together! It's fun looking for wildlife and checking out the Park, especially since there's a contest involved now! I feel like I'm getting stronger every day. I'm able to go over obstacles a lot easier now. I'm able to ride harder and longer. All of this is because my trainer, Dynamo, has taken the time to teach me!!! He's been so patient and helpful!!

So, to sum it up...In our last 4 rides we've encountered 4 snakes and 3 turtles! Lots of squirrels too, but they don't count!



No comments: