Monday, February 7, 2011

Mountain Bike Monday - Super Sunday Spin

While most of you were preparing for your Super Bowl festivities, we were getting our weekly ride in at the Park. The water at the dam was still rushing...

And rushing...

It was a really nice day for a ride. We were looking for a route that didn't involve crossing the creek. It's no big deal in the summertime, but in the winter it can be pretty chilly! Earlier in the week, we found a very helpful guy through the Cycling Central VA site who had mapped out a 26 mile loop throughout the park (mostly fireroads). He shared this route with us, so we planned to go exploring. Many thanks to Brian for the route.

We explored lots of new territory in the park. It is so amazing how much we still haven't discovered at the park. There were more sights including this cool camping area (not that I camp remember)...
bridges...


more rocks... this one was so awesome! I love the crack down the middle! It was beautiful!


more animals...

The trails we explored on the opposite side of the park from where we normally ride were quite utilized by these four-legged creatures. There was evidence everywhere (if you know what I mean). It was like dodging land mines!

...and, more hills!

We stopped at the top of one of the many hills and encountered this gentleman, who asked us if we were looking for the "flat trails." We all looked at each other and back at him implying "not really." We thanked him for his help and got back to our route.

It was a very nice ride. MBM, Dynamo, and I made a day of exploring and really got a workout.

By the end of the day, the cyclometer read...
30.19 miles! My longest off-road ride ever! Of course, Dynamo rode a little more after I stopped. But, I was super proud. Spot and I had a good ride!

I think I finally got my energy drink mix right...now, I've got to work on the food intake!

Hope your Super Bowl Sunday was great!



2 comments:

Jim Rosen said...

You are rocking that bike. 30+ miles! Way to go! That sounds like a great day in the park. I really like that last picture. I did not realize there was so much to ride down there. Keep it up and before you know it you will be doing 100 milers.

Jamie Oliver (@va_grown) said...

Wow! 30 miles is awesome! Boy, you've come a long way already...:)