Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Dinnertime in the woods

JeffPocoJune2011

Well, last Thursday Dynamo and I took a spin after work. We started out on the Lakeview Trails at Poco. We rounded a corner and started up the hill to find this lying in the middle of the trail...

snakeontrail

snakeontrail

We let him slither away in peace and continued on with Dynamo now in the lead.

snakeontrail

As we were about to approach the rock garden on Lakeview 3, Dynamo stopped and started backing up. I asked him what was wrong. He said there were snakes ahead. He couldn't tell what kind or how many snakes there were off to the side of the trail. Well, it turns out that there were two. And...it was a struggle. One snake (now confirmed as a King Snake) was having dinner. What you ask was he eating? Well, it was another live snake!!! We couldn't believe what we were seeing. We videoed the event, and will upload it later. We had never seen such a thing! I'd heard about it, but never thought we'd see it. I'll spare you the details, but it did bring up many questions I will need to get answered by the Park people.

snakeeatingsnake

We were held up a bit because we stopped to watch until we could get safely by. We were pleased with our ride completing 14 miles and no other critter incidents.

JeffPocoJune2011



2 comments:

M Rosen said...

I didn't know snakes were cannibals!!!!

Jim Rosen said...

Wow. Can't wait to see the video. I got behind on your blog but am all caught up now. I liked your Cranky Monkey coverage. Happy Trails!