Monday, July 26, 2010

now, here's what was in that box...

Remember the box from Friday's post?
Well, it was my new bike all the way from Colorado!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can you see it in there? They did an awesome job of packaging let me tell you! While Mom and I were getting the flowers together on Friday night, Dynamo and Dad took care of putting my new awesome bike together.
Isn't he pretty?!?!?!
It's a Spot Brand Longboard Single Speed 29er! This rider review gives a good description of the bike, its capabilities, components, etc. Basically, it's geared to one gear...like when we were kids and only had to pedal and not think about changing the gears! I've only got one gear, so no changing just pedaling! I couldn't wait to get my 10 speed when I was old enough. Gears are supposed to be your friends, but lately they're not! I thought people who rode the trails without gears were crazy, but not now! I test rode Dynamo's Single Speed 29er (Sir 9) and it rocks! I actually seemed to ride faster uphill and overall on his bike than on my geared bike. It just handled so well. It also is because it was steel, not aluminun. The first mountain bikes were made of steel. It's just a different ride. So, I said I wanted to get one for myself. Dynamo did lots of research to find one that would fit me. I'm shorter so that posed a little bit of a problem.

Finding the right bike fit is all about the right geometry. There's a lot more involved than just getting on and riding. There's a thing called standover height, top tube length, etc. Those are really important for everyone, especially for a shortie like myself. Let me clarify...I'm only 5 ft 3.5 inches, so I'm not too short compared to the average female, but in the 29 inch tire world it's a little tough.

Speaking of tires...there's a big difference between this bike and the traditional mountain bikes...it has BIG tires! 29 inches! The majority of mountain bikes have 26 inch tires. The big tires make for an awesome ride. I feel like I'm one of those big monster trucks on T.V. rolling over top of those cars in the arena at the Coliseum (no, I've never been to one of those shows, but it looks awesome). When I rode over the roots on Dynamo's 29er they didn't even phase me. Plus, now I'll be higher up and away from the snakes. By the way...saw one of those on the trail two Thursdays ago! YIKES! Learn about the history of the 29er here.

The other big difference is that this bike is belt driven. Most bikes are chain driven. Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia:

A belt-driven bicycle is a chainless bicycle that uses a toothed synchronous belt to transmit power from the pedals to the wheel. The belts are typically made by the same manufacturing companies that produce timing belts for automobiles, machineries, and other synchronous belt drive applications.

The application of belt drives to bicycles is growing, especially in the commuter bicycle market, due to the low maintenance and lubrication-free benefits.

So, now I should be able to really rock and roll!!!! I'll keep you posted on how the bike does on its first ride and what I decide to name him!



1 comment:

M Rosen said...

awesome! that is exciting. I can see how having a single speed would be fun. We got a lot of riding in while on vacation, but now I am concentrating on training for the tri, which is in 3 weeks!