Friday, May 6, 2011

some free motion stitching

mother's day_0034_edited-1
The best part of free motion stitching is that you can let your machine go wild! Dynamo said he heard me upstairs using the sewing machine and wasn't sure what was going on. Sometimes it feels a little out of control with this type of stitching! But, you can never really make a mistake. It's meant to look "not perfect."
mother's day_0026_edited-1
It does take some practice to "control" the needle and make it go where you want it to go. Each time I try, I get better. I do like the idea of the mixed textures of the paper, lace, and fabric. It's very different and artistic.

If you want some information on this technique, there's a great book by Bari J. Ackerman called Inspired to Sew you should check out!

I'll be posting more next week so you can see what else I've done with free motion stitching!



1 comment:

Jamie Oliver (@va_grown) said...

Do you use envelopes larder than your card to fit in the extra layers, or do you just shove it in there? I find envelopes are always a challenge--and I'm not a fan of making my own, although I do. It's just tedious.