Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A thank you gift

A friend gave me a box of sewing goodies that she found when she cleaned out her parents' house. It was so thoughtful of her to share her mom's things with me. Inside the box were old spools, miscellaneous ribbon, patterns, and fabric remnants. I was like a kid in a candy store! Here's a pic of the inside of the box!
Well, I wanted to do something to thank her for sharing these beautiful things with me. So, I started looking through the fabric remnants and had an idea. I decided I'd make her a tote bag out of the fabric in the box. That way she could have a special memory. I left the fabric as it was...you could even see a little yellowing from age. I thought that would mean even more. She can always wash that away later, but for now it can stay.

So, here was the result...
And, a closeup...
I think this fabric was maybe from an old tablecloth. It was so beautiful. I gave it to her yesterday. Here was the box I put the bag in, which I altered a bit with gesso. I added a giant paper bow, which I made from old sheet music and vintage lace. I think it turned out great! I may just have to make more of these bows! They are so fun to make!
Of course, here are two closeups for you! I had to add glitter!
Happy Wednesday!



1 comment:

Jamie Oliver (@va_grown) said...

The bag was lovely, but that box turned out AWESOME! So creative!