Friday, August 26, 2011

Oatmeal, Milk, and Honey Soap

Dynamo made me another beautiful soap mold. This time much larger! I was so excited to try it out that I decided to make some oatmeal, milk, and honey soap the other evening! It turned out just lovely.

Oatmeal Milk Honey Soap 001

The mold he made was the perfect size for my "standard batch" recipe size. I think we've got it down pat. Each batch makes about 80 ounces of soap. I get about 20 bars or so from each batch. They are a little bigger than the soap bars you buy in the stores, and in my opinion, better!

So, here is the loaf cut into 1 inch bars!

Oatmeal Milk Honey Soap 003

The oatmeal is ground up and mixed in during the process to provide gentle exfoliation. I also sprinkled some on top because it looks pretty!

After all this soap making, our house sure smells really nice! Now, the batches of soap must cure anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks. Our upstairs bathroom is the official curing room! As of right now, we've made lavender, oatmeal/milk/honey, orange crush, feliz navidad, and peppermint/tea tree soaps. I'm planning to work on a dog shampoo bar next. We want Lexi to smell pretty! The recipe I'm working on is one that humans can use as well. It will be a good bar to use before biking/hiking/camping because it will have good bug repellent properties!

I'll keep you posted, but for now we'll be preparing for Hurricane Irene. Be safe and have a nice weekend!



No comments: