Thursday, October 4, 2012

Some sketching

flower

I love drawing flowers. From time to time I practice sketching other things, but I think my strength is with flowers. I just love all kinds of flowers. They represent such beauty and peace. They make me smile. As I watched the butterflies all around my flower garden the other day all I could think was how blessed we are to be able to see and experience nature. There were butterflies of all colors just flitting around from flower to flower.

Since we stopped selling flowers at the market we haven't cut the flowers much. It's like nature just moved in. There are spider webs all over the garden, beautiful white spiders on the zinnias, and bugs everywhere! It's like they are thanking me for not cutting their food.

Art calms me, and trust me...I need to calm down most of the time! Some days I need to be creative more than others. It allows me to stop and be quiet for just a few moments and just appreciate the beauty of things. When you sketch something you notice the details. You notice the hundreds of petals that make up a zinnia. You notice the veins in the leaves and how straight the lines run. You notice how perfect and symmetrical nature is. Have you noticed this?

I intend to journal around this picture, but for now this is where it stands. I'm going to try to sketch more. I need the practice, and I need to be still and calm.

2 Thessalonians 3:16 Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times in every way. The Lord be with you all.



No comments: