Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Flower Patch at the Petersburg Farmers' Market

I mentioned yesterday that we (Mom, Dad, Jeff, and I) grow and sell cut flowers. We are The Flower Patch. Mom does most of the growing. I'm the arranger/marketer! Dad is the waterer and Dynamo is the loader/repairman/everything else guy. Dynamo is quite allergic to the flowers, so I try to make sure his actual contact with them is minimal.

Well, last Friday evening Dynamo and I had the responsibility of cutting, arranging, loading, and selling the flowers on Saturday on our own since Mom and Dad were on a cruise. It went pretty well. I thought I'd share a little about the process from start to finish with you.

First, we cut the flowers. Mom grows them in Waverly in her "patch." Hence the name The Flower Patch. There were lots of butterflies competing with me for the lilies on Friday afternoon.
I cut them according to type and color. It makes it much easier for me to put the bouquets together this way. It was super hot on Friday so once they were cut I had to get them inside the garage to hydrate. The garage is the make-shift refrigeration unit during the summertime. It has a little window A/C unit. The flower preparation takes over the garage, so no cars are allowed. Garages aren't really for vehicles anyways are they?!?!

Next, I worked for a couple of hours arranging the flowers into bouquets to be sold at the Market, beginning at 7 a.m. on Saturday morning.
They stayed in the garage overnight, until 5 a.m., when we loaded them into the back of Dad's pickup truck and headed to the Market. Once at the Market we setup to sell from 7 a.m. to 12 noon.
We love our customers and being in Downtown Petersburg under the bridge. Last Saturday there were about 20 vendors at the Market and lots of shoppers. It's wonderful!

If you live in the area and want to be on the email list to find out when we're going to be at the Market, send me an email.



1 comment:

jackie said...

I sure wish you lived closer........Love the flowers. You have such a wide variety. Maybe if I ever get to that part of Texas I would love to stop by the flower patch.