Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Mole's Birthday Celebration

The birthday girl!
Last week we had our girls night birthday celebration dinner for Pauline (AKA "Mole"). My  mom gave her this nickname years ago! It seems to have stuck...at least for Mom and I! We had a lovely dinner at Outback and my responsibility was to make the cake. Mole requested anything with chocolate...lots of chocolate. So, I went sifting through my various cookbooks (yes, I collect those too) and stumbled upon my favorite one of all.
This is a good cake cookbook. There's an excellent recipe for Hummingbird cake that is just divine, but remember I was in search of chocolate. Inside was a recipe for Easy Chocolate Party Cake. It was pretty easy and pretty chocolatey! So, I gave it a try. Everyone was pretty pleased. Mole thought it was great! I, myself, am not a big fan of super chocolatey, but if I were it would be great if I do say so myself. It was very dense and rich. You could only eat a little before you were on chocolate overload! Here was the result...

They never quite look as good as in the book, but we'll take it. After all, I am an amateur!
Here's a pic of Mole cutting and serving her cake...
Of course, Kathy had to stick her finger in the frosting (gross) and taste it! Good thing we had already gotten our pieces before that happened!
Here's a final pic of Mole and Gladys!
This group of ladies were my mom's girlfriends before I came along, but now that I'm all grown up I'm one of the girls. I look at it as having lots of extra moms and friends. These ladies have watched me grow up and have been there for me all of my life. It's kinda like the Ya-Ya's!



1 comment:

M Rosen said...

wow that cake looks like a hunk of chocolatey goodness!